Liability Order For Council Tax Arrears | Stop Further Action | M1 Debt Solutions Ltd


Know your rights and stop further action for council tax arrears

 We will help you deal with your liability order

 We will arrange a temporary hold on bailiff action

 We will negotiate with the council for you

 We will arrange an affordable payment plan

Call our expert team now on 0161 850 0467, use the click to call button on your mobile or BOOK CALLBACK.


If you have unpaid Council Tax your council can ask the court for a liability order. This is a legal demand for payment and MUST NOT be ignored.

If you fail to act after receiving a liability order the council can apply for an attachment of earnings (money taken direct from your wages); bailiff and enforcement action; or take you to court.

Receiving a liability order for not paying your Council Tax is serious and can feel as if you have lost control.

Take back control today and call our expert team for help and avoid further action.

Contact Us

Contact Us

Click "Book Callback" and complete the form or call us to speak to a specialist immediately.

Get Expert Help

Get Expert Help

We will take care of your attachment of earnings, any bailiff or enforcement action and organise a payment plan affordable to you.

Get Action Stopped

Get Action Stopped

Get your attachment of earnings and other action stopped. Start living again knowing your wages aren't being taken and your debt issues are now taken care of.


If you have a liability order for Council Tax arrears you may also be facing enforcement action. Local Councils and creditors instruct bailiffs to visit your home in order to seize goods to repay the debt(s) owed.

People are often confused and unsure about the powers bailiffs hold, so follow these four steps to deal with the bailiff:

let them in

let them in

You are not obliged to let anyone into your home regardless of what they say.

be intimidated

be intimidated

You are under no obligation to speak with a bailiff so do not respond to their intimidation.

sign anything

sign anything

Never sign anything a bailiff hands to you whatsoever.

on 0161 850 0467

on 0161 850 0467

We will take care of the bailiff, stop the harassment and organise a payment plan affordable to you.


Need to know more about attachment of earnings? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.

Your creditor may apply for an attachment of earnings order if you have any of the following debts:

  • Credit card debt, banks loans and hire purchase agreements
  • Student loans
  • Rent or mortgage arrears
  • Income tax, VAT or TV License arrears

If you have Council Tax or child maintenance debts, your creditors can also apply for an attachment of earnings order, however the rules for these differ slightly from the rules set out on this page.

If you have arrears for child maintenance, the Child Support Agency (CSA) or Child Maintenance Service (CMS) don’t have to apply for a court order to be able to take money from your wages. They can make one themselves, which is known as a deduction from earnings order.

Your creditor is unable to apply for an attachment order if you’re:

  • Self employed
  • Unemployed
  • In the army, air force or navy
  • In the merchant navy

If your creditor does apply for an attachment of earnings order, you will be sent court form N56. You’re required to fill in this form detailing your financial circumstances.

These will include your employer’s details and whether or not you have any other outstanding debt. You will have to include your partner’s financial details too. You have eight days to return this information back to the court.

A court officer will use the information you’ve provided to make an attachment of earnings order. If you fail to give enough information on form N56, you may be required to attend a hearing with a judge.

It is an offence not to send back form N56 or to provide false information. If you don’t send back the form, the county bailiffs will serve you with an order to fill it in.

If you still don’t send back the required information, then you will be sent a notice to appear in a court hearing to explain why you have not provided the information you are required to about your financial circumstances.

You MUST attend this hearing. If you fail to do so the court can issue a warrant for your arrest and you can be brought to court or even sent straight to prison for up to 14 days.

If your creditor is aware of your employer’s address, which they could already be from details you’ve given them, they can pass this information straight to the court.

The court can then go directly to your employer to ask them to provide details of your earnings if you fail to return the N56 form back to the court.

In some circumstances, your creditor can apply to the court for an order to obtain information to find out more about your finances or obtain your employer’s details. You will have to go to court to swear an oath that the financial information you are providing is correct.

You can ask the court not to issue an attachment of earnings order if your creditor agrees to a new payment plan for you to pay back what you owe.

This is known as asking for a suspended attachment of earnings order.

There is a box to tick on form N56 if you want to ask for a suspended attachment of earnings order. You must also detail your reasons.

If the court accepts your request for suspending the attachment of earnings order, the court won’t start taking any money from your wages unless you don’t keep up the repayments you have agreed to.

I can’t afford the payments

If you think the amount of money being taken is too much, you can tell the court that you don’t agree with the amount the creditor is asking for.

You have 14 days from the date the original order is made if you want to do this. If the order has been in place for a while and your circumstances change, you may still apply to the court to ask them to change the terms of the order. A hearing will be arranged and the judge could make a different order.

Asking for a consolidation attachment of earnings order

You can ask the court for a consolidation attachment of earnings order.

You may choose to do this if you have other CCJs and making one payment is easier for you to manage. Instead of you paying different creditors yourself, one monthly payment is taken out of your wages by your employer and it is sent to the court.

The court will then divide up the money and send it to all the creditors who have County Court Judgements against you.

A consolidation attachment of earnings order is only a good move if:

  • You have an attachment of earnings order in place and want to add a debt(s) that has a County Court Judgement against it (them).
  • You have no problem with money being taken directly out of your bank to pay back your debt(s).

You can apply to the court for a consolidated attachment of earnings order by contacting the court in writing. In the letter, you should:

  • Give details of all the attachment of earnings orders and CCJs against you that you want the court to consolidate.
  • Include a budget sheet to show your income and expenditure of your household. You should also make it clear how much you can pay in total on the new order.

No hearing will be held. Your creditors have 14 days to object to the order being made. It is unusual for the court to turn down a request to make a consolidated attachment of earnings order and details of the new order will be sent by the court.

If you leave your job, for any reason, the attachment of earnings order stops being paid but it isn’t cancelled or written off. It will come back into force when you get a new job.

It is a criminal offence not to inform the court of your new job and employer.

What are the implications of an attachment of earnings order on my job?

It could have serious implications, depending on what type of job you have, if your employer discovers an attachment of earnings order has been made against you.

If you work in a job with money, financial advice or a job that requires a lot of trust, such as a security job, you may find your employer has a policy of dismissing employees if a court order is made against them.


We understand being in debt and having the threat of bailiffs or attachment of earnings is a worrying time in anyone’s life.
Debt worries can leave us feeling isolated from the world and unsure which way to turn.
This is where we come in – to steer you in the right direction towards debt recovery.

Our aim

Our aim

To help you understand the options available to you and help you on your road to debt recovery.

Experienced team

Experienced team

We have over 10 years experience helping our customers improve their circumstances and deal with their debts.

Experts on

Experts on

Bailiff enforcement action; Council Tax arrears; court fines; parking fines; gas, electric and water arrears; debt consolidation; and all debt solutions.

Discover how we can help you by either calling us today or completing this form and we’ll call you back.



Complete this short form to book your callback and get quick FREE help.

Liability Order

Updated on 2019-07-04T13:39:40+01:00, by admin_m1.